Sunday, April 20, 2008

Champs of WNE!

Finally! Since coming to UMass ZooA has lost to Amherst on Sunday both years, but not this year! They faced last year’s national rep from the section Williams and lost 9-11 in the first game, but after that Saturday was pretty much a breeze as they faced nothing but B teams (Middlebury-B, Hampshire, Amherst-B, and Vermont-B). Sunday morning finished up pool play with a trouncing of Westfield-A. They took on the weird guys from Middlebury, who run around with huge mustaches and skirts, seriously those guys are weird. Anyways ZooA managed to pull out a 15-12 victory and finally broke into the championship game. They faced Williams of course, who took out Amherst (though I heard their best handler broke his leg, ouch), and was a tight one, with ZooA finally pulling out a 16-14 victory. This is good because they’ll probably get a decently high seed at Regionals and won’t have to face the likes of Harvard or Brown in the 2nd round.

For ZooB, I guess you would call this the most successful season in the last couple years. Granted they were playing with 2 former A-teamers (Sliski and McComb), ZooB showed dedication and actually left Sectionals with a winning record, 3-2. They started the weekend 3-0 actually, taking down Westfield State-B, Williams-B and C. ZooB ran into Amherst and Vermont though and just didn’t have any steam left. The freshmen are getting better, but what I get from Captain James is that they have trouble with flicks. Now that the season is over for them, they’ll probably just scrimmage local high schools. Northampton actually contacted me last week about a scrimmage, and I relayed the request to James. I might drop by and toss the disc around with them.

As for this summer, it’s going to be a big one. I am taking a couple summer classes over at Holyoke Community College (1/3 the cost of UMass!), and working at the Business Office again. I’ll be headed into town sometime this week to put in my registration for SULA (Summer Ultimate League of Amherst). I think there are no longer any club teams in the valley, with B.U.R.N being disbanded last summer, so I’ll need something to keep my throws from being rusty. Also need to get back into shape, so guess that’ll mean waking up at 6 in the morning every day to hit the track and then the gym before it gets too hot. My Gold’s Gym membership is just sitting there, wasting away on my bank account, so I probably should use it. Just over a month of school left, and that includes exams week for me, so it’s getting down to the wire. This long weekend I’ve done nothing but sleep (this kind of weather does that to you), might go out drinking with couple of the Zoo guys after I get off work (on duty right now).

Oh yeah, allergies really strong this spring, I didn’t have any last spring. This is really affecting me doing anything, I need stronger medicine.

No comments: