Thursday, April 17, 2008

Practice

Went to Zoo practice for the first time this semester (wasn’t playing for other reasons), and man it was a thrill to be back. Well I had a good time, but it was hot and I was out of shape from playing ultimate, so it was tough too. Most of the old faces are still there with the addition of one or two new kids, it looked like they had played in high school so not too worried. Obviously my stamina had gone down, and thus so was my agility, but throws were still all good. They were still crisp, on target, and stuff. I feel like the time I spent watching like the Mamabird and Churchill/Rhino videos really influenced me a lot, especially in the way that I fake and step out to throw.

Both Zoo teams have Western New England Sectionals this weekend at Williams. LadyZoo is much better than last year and they finished 2nd to Williams two weekends ago at Women's WNE Sectionals. For ZooA, they are in Pool B, seeded 2nd under Middlebury. Honestly I wonder, what would happen if Middlebury makes it to nationals, because those guys are like the superhippies, furthering the stereotype of the pot-smoking, long hair, tie-dye shirt wearing Frisbee player. ZooA took down Middlebury 8-7 at Yale Cup couple weeks ago, but Middlebury made it to the finals of Yale. In the UPA rankings, ZooA is actually ranked 2nd in the section. Honestly this time in the series is when ZooA usually messes it up. Both my freshman and sophomore year ZooA has lost to Amherst in the semis and has had to fight to win the 3rd place in the section. Williams always brings it during the series time, and I am pretty sure Vermont has ARHS alumni Kellen and Matt, so they’ll be a threat in the region too.

ZooB is seeded 2nd to last in Pool A, and at most they’ll probably win a game or two in their pool, and if lucky, play like 2 games on Sunday.

There are a couple new teams at sectionals that are new. I think this is the first time in quite a while that Hampshire College has participated in Sectionals. Also new is Westfield State, who is sending an A and B team. Wasn’t even aware they had a team at all. Anyways this is going to be tight and there is a chance that ZooA might not even make it to Regionals. Even if they do, they’ll probably run into like Harvard or Tufts in the 2nd round. Hope for the best of them though, cause most of the team has been playing together for a couple years and next year we’ll probably lose a couple key seniors.

Also yesterday one of my former teammates (who is sitting the season out due to injury) asked me to go throw with him and this “hot chick”. Turned out I actually knew this chick, and had actually gone to high school with her. We both had played for ARHS, but she was a year under me. She said she was done with sports and was transferring to some Boston school next year, oh well. It was fun throwing with her though, she was very fundamental and her throws were on the mark, as should be expected players from the Amherst factory.

Also Travis Ford left UMass all of a sudden to coach Oklahoma State basketball, damn traitor.

One last thing, my best friend Ken turns 21 today, going to be an insane night.

No comments: