Monday, April 28, 2008

Kickball

Ah well today was the Annual Southwest North Kickball Tournament. My first semester our cluster barely lost to eventual champions James-Emerson like 4 runs to 3. Then I missed last year’s tournament due to Western New England Sectionals, but from what I heard we lost big, like 15 – 0 and the mercy rule had to be implemented. This year’s tournament we wanted to do better, and I wasn’t the only one. We had several soccer players, my teammate Max and I, but the rest of our staff aren’t really sports material. We are a mix of undergraduate and graduate staff; therefore we are not a cluster filled with athletic undergraduates. Two of our graduate RA’s are like sub-5 feet tall Asian girls who are no more than 100-120 pounds, and others were grossly overweight. We actually were missing like 2 or 3 RAs who had work/lab.

So this year the tournament was held at the Intramural fields, but not the grassy side, unfortunately the ground was hard and literally no grass. It reminding me of the Vegas fields, it looked like a desert. Our first matchup was Melville-Thoreau, and they got off to a hot start. I was surprised because majority of our staff didn’t even know how to play kickball. I guess being international students might have caused this. MT got like 4 runs in the first inning, but we settled down a little bit more.

During one defensive inning, I was playing shallow 2nd base, and their kicker popped it over our pitcher to this open gap. I ran backwards and laid out over my shoulder. I caught the ball but somehow when I landed my left elbow jammed into my ribs and it hurt, bad. I don’t remember much, but I think I was rolling on the ground for a while before being lifted off the field. At first I thought I had broken a rib or something, but turns out it was bruised. I returned to play couple outs later, though the half inning I was out MT scored 3 more runs, and we ended up losing 7 – 0. Only after the game ended did I realize, I didn’t kick once!

After the game the adrenaline kind of wore off and everything started hurting. My ribcage area hurt like hell whatever I did, whether it was walking, talking, eating, or simply just breathing. After the loss we thought it was over so we just chilled and ate burgers, hot dogs, and chips from the barbeque. Turns out we weren’t done and were scheduled to play Coolidge. However they forfeited and left and we were instead given a bye and was to play for the 3rd place game.

Max finally showed up (he had concert band). The team we played (I think it was Kennedy) were a bunch of punks; I guess you could say they had bad spirit. They were taunting our senior staff, and I ended up charging at one of them trying to pick a fight and had to be restrained by Pierre. We played and I had several catches, several tag outs, and one hit and a beautiful slide. Other than that we lost again like 2 – 0 or something. Kind of sad seeing that we didn’t win a single game, nor score a single run. We stayed, ate some more, and just relaxed and watched the final between Melville-Thoreau and defending championships James-Emerson. Melville-Thoreau managed to pull out a close one, and we just packed up and headed back.

Other than that I checked up on some Regionals results. It was mostly the expected results, but I was kind of hoping in the Metro East Penn and Maryland would have gotten to Nationals, but it ended up being Pitt and Delaware again. Next weekend is New England Regionals, so hopefully Zoo will be able to do well and make it to Nationals.

GO PINK!




No comments: